Your skin naturally produces oil – it is there to help lubricate, heal, protect, and moisturise your skin so that it can function optimally. Many modern skin cleansers actually strip the skin of its oils, which then causes the body to over-compensate by producing excess sebum to replace the lost oils.
The theory behind oil cleansing is that oil dissolves oil: By using the correct combination of natural oils, you can cleanse your pores of dirt and bacteria naturally, gently and effectively, whilst replacing the dirty oil with beneficial ones that heal, protect and nourish your skin.
Correctly blended, top quality natural oils do not cause oily skin or clog pores. In fact, certain oils found in nature can assist the skin in achieving balance and regulating sebum, preventing build up that clogs pores and causes breakouts.
HOW TO USE CLEANSING OIL
- Massage the cleansing oil into the skin on your face, using smooth, circular strokes
- Massage for two minutes or more, taking care to cover all areas of your face
- Leave the oil on your face for a few minutes to be sure it penetrates the pores properly
- Place your clean face cloth under hot water until it is completely soaked. Wring it out and place it over your face to create steam against your skin – this will open the pores to remove the oils and draw any impurities from the skin
- Leave the cloth on until it cools slightly, and then gently wipe the oil away, repeating the process until all the oil has been removed
- Follow with a natural Toner and Face Serum for your skin type
BENEFITS OF USING CLEANSING OIL
- *Jojoba oil acts as an emulsifier with the skin’s natural sebum and gently unclogs the pores and lifts grime and embedded impurities
- Castor oil has strong cleansing, healing, and anti-inflammatory properties and helps purge pores of impurities and combat acne-causing bacteria
- Apricot kernel oil is rich in oleic and linoleic acids which offer superior moisturizing, nourishing and revitalizing properties
- Sweet Almond oil is naturally rich in Vitamin E, monounsaturated fatty acids, proteins, potassium and zinc and is excellent for keeping skin soft and supple
- *Sweet Orange oil is a powerful defender against oxidative stress and useful in eliminating toxins. It brings cheerfulness and warmth to the mind and promotes relaxation.
- *Lavender oil – Has a disinfectant and calming effect on the skin and promotes relaxation of the mind.
Remember to make sure that you are using a cleansing oil specifically designed for your skin type – this is hugely important as you don’t want to over or under hydrate your precious skin.
Also ensure that the product you choose is 100% natural: as mentioned in my previous blog – Why use Natural Skincare?, “The skin is our largest organ and can absorb up to 60% of what we put on it; when we use products containing harmful artificial ingredients these place an unnecessary burden on our skin, our detoxification processes and our entire immune system” so natural is absolutely the way to go!
Avoid products containing mineral oil as this is known to clog pores and contribute to sebum build up and acne.
Oil cleansing is a must try, in my opinion – I took the leap and I’ve never looked back!